Old January 1st 18, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams[_4_] Neil Williams[_4_] is offline

Default TfL to make half of Berkshire wheelchair accessible

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 07:58:32 -0800 (PST), Paul Corfield
wrote:

The simple answer is that they make me ill. Don't know why specifically but I have ended up feeling exhausted and having a thumping headache when using them in the early days. I am not prone to headaches so if I get one it's an unusual event. The weather was not exceptional on any day in question. No other bus in the *world* (and I've travelled on plenty) has the same effect. Heck I even survived crossing the Channel twice in one day in very stormy conditions without being seasick and I loathe ferry travel. To my mind that pretty much proves I am not prone to travel sickness so why the NB4L affects me physically I don't know but it does.

I do wonder why that is when they aren't really any different in a
practical sense to any other hybrid double-decker, they just have a
fancy body.

The fact that so much money was splashed on something that is a reflection of Boris's monstrous ego certainly doesn't help my opinion of them but it is not the main reason why I refuse to travel on NB4Ls. Why would I use a bus that makes me ill? Simple answer - I don't and it's one reason why my bus use and visits to Central London have declined markedly. I await the day when they start being withdrawn and are replaced with something decent. I know that's at least a decade away and that's fine. I know people like them and others hate them - that's fine too.

Yes, they were certainly too expensive, but that one thing aside I
like them because they give bus travel character and personality -
anything that promotes it well is a good thing. The E300 City is a
very good example of how it perhaps should have been done at a more
reasonable price.

Neil