Old January 2nd 18, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default TfL to make half of Berkshire wheelchair accessible

On Monday, 1 January 2018 15:43:44 UTC, Recliner wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 02:27:32 -0800 (PST), Paul Corfield
wrote:

I don't know about allergies. I'm not knowingly allergic to anything but
you may be correct. I appreciate you're enjoying the prospect of me
suffering additional anguish from a force fed NB4L ride complete with
ridiculous "disguise" but I doubt I'm that much of a sucker for punishment. ;-)

FWIW I have noticed feeling a bit yuck on occasions on brand new buses
and trains (and cars) of various types. It's not unusual for plastics
to give off more nasty vapours in the first few months (e.g.
formaldehyde), possibly you're sensitive to that and wouldn't get the
effect if you used one now.

The other thing that does that to me is newly installed laminate
flooring or MDF (but not once it's been down a month or two and the
vapour has reduced markedly). When installing it (which involves even
more being given off as it is cut) I get a noticeably tight throat,
too.

Yes, that makes sense. Perhaps Paul used them when they first came in, when
the ventilation was apparently poor, felt unwell, and has steered clear of
them ever since?

Well yes and no. The utter nightmare journey was on a 24 in the early days. However I have since had to use one on the N73 which was as stuffy as hell with steamed up windows at 0400, albeit on a Summer morning. Still it wasn't actually stifflingly hot outside. The N279 I caught beforehand was perfectly comfortable to use. Also had to take a short trip on a 453, long after they were new, and that was dreadful too.

I know via social media, assuming people are telling the truth, that a fair number of other people also have issues with NB4Ls. They complain about the smell, discomfort, nausea and lack of ventilation and that is NOT on the very hot days we get when far more people complain about the conditions on NB4Ls. I've travelled on other new buses and not had the same reaction to them. So a nice theory but I'm not sure it works consistently.

--
Paul C
via Google