Old January 14th 18, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default a new bus announcement

Richard J. wrote:
Robin wrote on 14 Jan 2018 at 17:40 ...
On 14/01/2018 16:58, DRH wrote:

I travelled on about seven buses yesterday and every one had started
moving before the announcement chimed in. Maybe it needs to come before the
route/destination announcement, not after.

Which would mean people who have got on the wrong bus are much less
likely to be able to get off before the next stop?

Serve them right. We don't want the bus held up at every stop in case
someone's got the wrong route.

According to the BBC "The alert is currently triggered by a computer that
sends out the message after the average amount of time a bus would spend
at a bus stop." That's crazy, because it means that half the messages
will be given too late. The only sensible way to time the message is to
link it to the closing of the front door. But there isn't really time to
get this 9-word message completed before the driver starts to move the
bus. Perhaps the message should be shortened to the conductors' cry of
"Hold tight" in the old days, as in "Hold tight" ding-ding!

The front doors don't open at every stop. Nor do the rear doors. But if
the front doors didn't open, presumably nobody boarded, and the annoying
announcement won't need to be played.