Old June 4th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

Martin Underwood wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Helen
Deborah Vecht writes

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

No, that's just 5 mini roundabouts in close succession similar to
those outside Hatton Cross tube station.

IIRC there are 6 mini roundabouts, placed around a central island.
This is an exactly similar configuration to the Swindon one,
except that Hemel has 6 roads entering instead of 5, and the
central island is bigger.

I thought the roundabouts at Swindon were placed randomly rather
than regularly around a central roundabout. Certianly they appear
fairly random when you drive around them.

If you look at the photo on the page that I referred to originally in
this thread*, you'll see that there is a mini-roundabout at the point
where each of the 5 roads enters the Magic Roundabout, forming a
more-or-less regular pentagon.

* http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

--
Richard J.