Old January 30th 18, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Last days of the 172s on the electrified GOBLIN

In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 30/01/2018 12:41, Roland Perry wrote:

Can you make a radio transceiver out of FPGA's?

Probably not, but you can get SDRs which presumably you can make a
radio tranceiver out of.

However as I said, and as I see you said, getting type approval for
such a thing may be the unobtanium in this sauce.

Even if you get a working radio that way you wouldn't have one type approved
to use on the railway. As far as type approval was concerned it would be a
new radio which would require to go through the approval process from
scratch.

If you were going to do that, you might as well use the modern design radio
which would also need type approval but if approved would allow more new
radios readily to be manufactured. In 1998, the type approval process was
too onerous and also unaffordable for the small additional RETB requirement.

--
Colin Rosenstiel