Old March 6th 18, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Woking to Heathrow

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:44:42 on Tue, 6 Mar
2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 06/03/2018 14:36, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:57:57
on Tue, 6 Mar 2018, David Cantrell remarked:

I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a different driver cost
over ??20 because the driver got lost.

I am not a big fan of Uber but that seems rather apochyphal because
the Uber app quotes you the price before you get in the car.

It gives you an estimate, not a quote.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/23/...cing-replaces-
estimates-with-guarantees/

If you read down to the bottom of this page, it seems this only applies
in the USA and parts of India at the moment. There is no mention of it
being applied yet in the UK.

https://www.uber.com/newsroom/upfron...-no-surprises/

Rules of thumb are indeed hard to find (our bad for assuming Uber has a
consistent product!) This page requires you to pick a city:

https://help.uber.com/h/d2d43bbc-f4b...b-4bd8acf03a9d

London fares (three-component like hackneys)

Base Fare £2.50
+Per Minute £0.15
+Per Mile £1.25

Here's Newcastle ("up north" straw poll):

Base Fare £0.60
+Per Minute £0.10
+Per Mile £1.40 -interesting this is higher

A £5 fare would be (at 20mph) 2.6 miles, £20 11.5 miles. That's a
stupendous amount of "getting lost"

Yes, the claimed £5/£20 numbers don't really make sense, do they? And
surely most passengers would spot if a mini cab was so far off route?