Old March 11th 18, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Early DLR aerial shot

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2018\03\11 10:41, Recliner wrote:

In the digital era, it's so much cheaper and easier to snap away
with abandon, that I hope many more of this sort of 'before' shot will be
taken and survive. At least they don't deteriorate with age; indeed, if RAW
files are kept, they might even improve with age.

Okay, I'll bite. Why would RAW files improve with age?

The software to process them gets steadily better. I can re-process a RAW
file from 10 years ago and produce a significantly better JPEG now than was
possible at the time.

For example, sensors back then were much noisier than today, so even quite
low ISO images had significant noise. Now, much better,
computationally-intense noise reduction while processing RAWs is available.