Old March 12th 18, 04:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) visit

On 12/03/2018 16:59, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 16:51:56 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
Depending on what they're made of fabric straps can be exceptionally strong.
Plus I doubt that carraige is as heavy as the locos.

There are four yellow straps lifting the carriage. There's just one lifting
the power units.

I saw 4 metal chains lifting those. Rather thin looking chains IMO given
those loco sections must be at least a ton each.

Those chains look to me as if they are rated at a couple of tonnes each,
with the strap being wrapped a few times round the support and hook, for
a load rating of about 4 to 6 tonnes.

The straps used on the carriages are a size I've seen used to lift a 7
tonne narrowboat in a similar configuration.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.