Old April 10th 18, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Ex-Victoria line unit at Action Town

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 10:20:17 on Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Recliner
remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 09:32:44 on Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Recliner
remarked:
Brexit could have an effect in the future if it cuts the number of EU
citizens coming to work in London, but I doubt that it's had much effect
yet.

The only "industry" I've seen publish any figures yet is University
academia, who have around 25k EU citizens employed (in teaching/
research). They have seen an alleged Brexodus effect, for example Kings
College London reportedly having around 140 leave last year compared to
around 100 previously.

What we don't know (from these reports) is whether they've managed to up
their recruitment to 140, and from where.

Yes, I think more are leaving, and fewer applying, but I'm not sure if
there's been an actual reduction employed. Indeed, with some
people wanting
to establish residency while they still can (not necessarily academics),
there could even be a temporary increase in EU migrants.

Until we see an Immigration Bill with various cut-off dates, and more
importantly what rights will accrue to workers *and* their families,
it's understandable some people will be put off taking a risk.

Yes, I'm sure that's true, but others who were just considering coming may
bring forward their arrival to be here before any cut-off date.

Incidentally, I think the dates are now agreed (ie, we conceded to the EU's
proposals),

The problem is, things keep changing. As recently as last November the
Government was sticking firmly to March 2019.

Not so firmly, it now turns out. As in most aspects of the transition deal,
it's been agreed on the EU's terms.

Which are what? Mindful that "the devil will be in the detail".

but I'm not sure if immigrants' family rights are also confirmed.

Even the immigrants themselves. One report I've read says it's
restricted to: "EU citizens who are working, self-employed, studying,
who have sufficient resources for themselves and their families
..." and can thus apply [up to the end of 2020] for "pre-settled
status", which is basically a concession while they build up five years
residence before applying for UK Citizenship. Not all such applications
succeed.

Yes, that area remains confused. I wonder why such an application would be
refused?

A criminal record is an obvious one.