Old June 9th 18, 11:49 AM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone Somewhere View Post
On 08/06/2018 18:20, Robin9 wrote:
I've just received an email from TfL announcing that Mr Khan will
proceed with his scheme to clamp down on vehicle emissions in the area
surrounded by the North and South Circular Roads.

http://tinyurl.com/y7uz6sht

I am a motorist, living in this zone and I hope I will not be affected
adversely. To repeat a point I have made numerous times, no attempt will
be made to tackle the single biggest reason that vehicle emissions have
grown so enormously ever since London was saddled with a Mayor. Mr Khan
will posture with accomplished hypocrisy but will not do what needs to
be done.

Which is what, and what can be done about it?
The biggest single reason that air pollution in London has increased hugely in the past nineteen years is that the road system has been substantially altered to make driving as difficult and as frustrating for motorists as possible. The result has been that vehicle journeys take far longer than previously and consequently vehicle engines are running for longer than previously.

TfL has frequently boasted that the number of cars in central London is lower than it was before the implementation of the Central London Supplementary Road Tax (AKA the congestion charge) That by itself, everything else being equal, should have led to a marked reduction in air pollution. Add to the equation the introduction of hybrid and all-electric vehicles, and London ought to be enjoying far cleaner air than before we had a Mayor.

It should never be forgotten that since the clean air legislation of the 1950s, London, in common with the rest of the country, enjoyed ever reducing levels of air pollution until that dreadful day when a Mayor was foisted upon us.

The easiest way to reduce air pollution in London is to put the roads back the way they were nineteen years ago.