Old June 11th 18, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

wrote in message news
On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 16:41:14 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message news
Sure, and Porcine Airlines will be the first flight out. There is simply
no
way they can raise that sort of money on the open market, the government
will
be coughing up if they want it finished. And thats before you factor in
the
economic chaos that the delays on the M25 caused by putting it in a
tunnel
will create. All because some idiots believed the spin that we don't
have
enough runways in the SE. Obviously nobody mentioned Gatwick, Stansted,
Luton,

all filling up

Hardly. Look at flightradar24 to see the stream of planes not landing at
Luton.

OK Luton's a bit further from being full than the other 2, but it's still
filling up

London City and Southend to them. And then there's Marsden in kent which
is
soon to be turned into a housing estate. Go figure.

because next to no-one wants to fly from there

three attempts to encourage people to do so have failed.

It's pointless trying again.

Actually I got the name wrong, its Manston, not marsden, but doesn't
matter.

I have to say that I didn't notice, as I know exactly where the airport in
"Kent" is, that it is not at Marsden is moot

No one would want to fly from heathrow if it didn't have 2 rail links and
a motorway going to it.

Don't be silly. It's reasonably centrally located in SE England with a
population of about 15 million within an hour and a half's drive

an hour and a half from Manston sees you reach about a million people

The road to Manston isn't bad, it's just at (one of) the farthest corner(s)
of the country

Theres a rail line spitting distance from Manston which
could easily have a short branch line built to the airport just as
happened at
Stansted and it would be a lot cheaper than any new runway at any london
airport, never mind heathrow.

Agreed

It would be easy to rail link Manston (moving the terminal would be easier
than building a rail spur)

But it's still going to be 1 and half hour away from a London Terminal.
That's just too far

Unless you have a car you can't get to Manston
yet those in power throw their hands up and say "Look, no one uses it!".
Well
quelle surprise.

There's a loads of secondary airports that can only easily be reached by car

Yet they manage to achieve a critical mass of customers - because they have
a large enough local catchment

Manston does not