Old June 11th 18, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

On 11/06/2018 14:40, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:00:39 +0100
Robin wrote:
On 11/06/2018 11:53,
wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:15:01 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
On 11/06/2018 09:35,
wrote:

No one would want to fly from heathrow if it didn't have 2 rail links and
a motorway going to it.

For about half the passengers who fly in to and out of Heathrow, the
road and rail links outside the airport don't matter, as they fly in
from one airport, possibly change terminals, and fly out to another one.

Which means there's even less reason not to use Manston.

This is the target audience for expansion, as Heathrow is the biggest
hub airport in Europe, and has a wider choice of international
destinations than any other. They are trying to keep their lead in this
over Frankfurt, Charles de Gaulle and Schiphol.

And a hub airport brings very little to the UK other than pollution and
profit for Heathrow Plc. The fact that the cabinet has been suckered into
approving the new runway demonstrates - if we didn't know already - what a

dim
bunch of 2nd raters they are.

Among the many problems with using Manston as London's major airport,
there's fitting the flight paths in with those over mainland Europe for
airports there. Do you reckon France and the Netherlands would nicely
move those for Schipol and CDG to make room?

I'm not suggesting supplanting the whole of heathrow with manston. But even
if I was, aircraft could still stack over the UK, it would have no impact on
french or dutch airspace.

Check the prevailing wind directions, also the location of the stacks
for LHR and LGW.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.