Old June 12th 18, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar@cylonHQ.com is offline

Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:03:59 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:54:29 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to post something that validates their
arguments
against manston - you lot make the assertions so back them up.

The fact that no airlines want it. Even the airport didn't.

The airport didn't because the current owners could get more money by turning
it into housing. The local council tried to save it but had no luck. The
airlines don't want it because there's no infrastructure or transport links
to speak of there.

As others have correctly pointed out, its local catchment area is small,

WHy does the local catchment area matter? You think Heathrow is bothered how
many people from Hounslow fly from it?

So how would people from, say, Oxford or Northampton, have got to Manston?

The same way they currently get to Gatwick. Road or train via London (if a
station was built there).

and it's much too far from the main markets, and too close to other busy
airports. It's never even made the short lists of the various commissions
over the decades on expanding airport capacity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37552369

Not financially viable? Compared to a 14 billion quid load to Heathrow?

HAL will be funding the airport expansion itself, with funds raised based
on the increased business that the new runway will bring in. Nobody was

We'll see. I won't hold my breath.

prepared to advance money for Manston expansion, as it was so obviously not
viable.

Manston is not currently viable whereas heathrow is. Its always easier to make
a business case to expand something that already works than something that
doesn't and needs investment to work. The government however should take a long
term view beyond simple profit and loss. If the country really needs another
runway near london then Manston would fit the job if the govn really gave a
toss about urban air and noise pollution. If its actually more about profit
for Heathrows owners then obviously it stands no chance.

Haven't I? Guess I must've imagined visited the USA a number of times.

Actually, my first dozen or so trips to the US were in cattle class.
Luckily, my career took off, so I longer needed to mix with the
loud-mouthed ignorant plebs like you in the back. My next 50 or so trips to
North America were in business (or occasionally first) class. So will all
future trips.

I endure flying because the holiday at the other end is worth it. No way would
I fly 50 times to the US simply for work business class or not. They could
shove the job. Still, there's always some mug who'll do it because he thinks
it gives him status, just like the guys who think being tethered to their
business phone is an "I've made it" status symbol rather that an indication
that they're nothing but obedient cattle at their bosses beck and call.