Old June 10th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 at 13:10:37, Al wrote:

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can fly to a
second country, but can't obtain that second country's money until you get
there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

What makes you think I'd have any US dollars? If I were going abroad
and wished to get money before I travelled, I would buy the currency of
that country.

And if there aren't still plenty of countries where you can't take your
money in and out, there certainly were some years ago. China and
Tunisia spring instantly to mind; the old Iron Curtain countries also
didn't let you take their money out, although now they are all in the EU
and going into the Euro in a few years, that has changed.

Anyway, if people wish to save themselves 60 pence of markup by not buying
currency until they arrive, then they shouldn't moan if they can't actually
get it when they arrive. After all, they've saved themselves 60p!

It depends on how much currency you wish to travel with, of course.

Thank goodness for local ATMs, though - it's transformed travelling
abroad. In my young day, you worried whether you had enough money for
the duration - my grandmother's advice was always to take half the
clothes and twice the money you thought you'd need; these days, only the
former applies.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004