Old June 27th 18, 12:50 PM
matthew3774 matthew3774 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
On Tuesday, 26 June 2018 21:57:28 UTC+1, matthew3774 wrote:
I used the DLR yesterday and seeing no barriers or anywhere where I
needed to tap my Oyster card I didn’t do so. How are you meant to use
the DLR as I assume it’s not free?

And will I be fined?

If you touched out you will be charged the maximum fare for the journey, £8.00. I can't imagine how you missed the Oyster card readers.

Earlier I went from Victoria to Tower Hill and the
barrier was stuck open at Victoria

So there is only one gate at Victoria and it was open. And it has just been completely redesigned! Obviously very badly.

so I went through but my debit card

What made you switch from the Oyster card?

didn’t work at Tower Hill so the guy tried it for me and asked how I
managed to get on the train which I told him.

You card has almost certainly been blacklisted. Contact TfL customer services to have it (possibly) re-whitelisted.

He said I would need to buy an Oyster card or something but let me
through, so being confused I left the station as I couldn’t see any
machines to top up my Oyster card with.

You must have serious observation problems. You couldn't see the Oyster readers at the DLR station, couldn't see a working gate at Victoria and couldn't see any ticket machines at Tower Hill.
I imagine your head permanently bowed down into a smartphone.
Let’s dispense with your cynical assumptions since you don’t know me. As many others have commented the Oyster readers are often well hidden. I neither touched in or out and I’m sure you understand how in a rush there are people queuing behind so that’s one of the reasons I used the barrier at Victoria that was still open. The person in front of me had just gone through it no problems.

I have no signal on the underground so using my phone would be pointless, I looked around several times at Tower Hill but couldn’t see what I was looking for, and the assistants instructions were vague and he was assisting another customer so I left.