Old July 7th 18, 10:43 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Most people recognise that "spin" and barefaced lies are now a central characteristic of modern Government at both local and national level. I've just received an email from TfL which, I think, takes the biscuit. One part reads as follows:

"London’s Congestion Charge, when it was first introduced in 2003, was a huge success. There was a 15 per cent reduction in traffic in the Congestion Charge zone, which led to a 30 per cent reduction in congestion, as well as improvements in air quality."

I used to drive every day in Central London during that period so I had a front seat view. The truth is that from the moment Livingstone and his henchmen got in, they deliberately created congestion by a variety of anti-social tricks, one of which was re-phasing traffic lights. When the congestion charge was introduced, many of the traffic lights were returned to their previous phasing with the inevitable result that traffic flowed more smoothly. The pathologically dishonest Livingstone claimed the improvement was caused by the new charge reducing traffic volumes. Sadly, large numbers of gullible people were taken in.

Within a few weeks the traffic lights were returned again to TfL's anti-social phasing and congestion returned despite the much-heralded reduction in vehicles. The supposed 30% reduction was very short lived. I'm also sceptical that the Congestion Charge did reduce traffic levels by as much as 15% because most of the traffic in London was not liable for the charge.

The deliberate creation of congestion has continued ever since with the results many people now acknowledge. The Charley Brown roundabout is due to be sabotaged in the next few weeks.

I find the gall and insolence of TfL claiming that their policies have reduced air pollution in London appalling even by today's low standards.