Old July 13th 18, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 22:59:39 on
Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Mark Bestley remarked:
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 08:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
John Leach wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+1, wrote:
There was an article in the Evening Standard last night about the bus
garage near waterloo that has europes largest fleet of battery electric
buses. Apparently they had to install their own "generator". ....

I read that article too, according to this press release (link below) from
2016 the charging power comes from the grid. Not a local generator.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...s/press-releas
es/Ele ctric-buses-are-breath-of-fresh-air-for-London.html#art-top

I suspected it would be something like that. Installing a generator
would seem
to defeat the point of having electric buses.

For a more detailed view see Ian Visits

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...dream-of-elect
ric-buses/

"They also needed 2.5 megawatts of electricity to recharge the buses
overnight — although the use of smart monitoring means they never reach
that full load.

In comes 11,000 volts to two new substations on the site, which is then
dropped down to 400 volts and sent via two routes to the various
charging points around the depot.

2.5 megawatts at 400 volts is 6,250 amps! But I suppose it's only one
and a half Eurostars.

Four fast chargers at 800 volts are also available if needed."