Old July 13th 18, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Electric buses at waterloo

In message , at 11:14:39 on Fri, 13
Jul 2018, John Williamson remarked:
The traction motors on a Eurostar are rated to draw 12 megawatts per
train at start, the garage is drawing a fraction of that. The 12
Eurostar motors are likely running at 600 volts or so, which means they
draw about 1,600 Amps each, at a megawatt a pop, but this is only of
concern to the designers and engineers. To everyone else, it's a black
box system that needs a megawatt per motor at whatever voltage and
frequency the pantograph is supplying at the time.

But the DC power supply wasn't capable of 19,200 amps!

What's important to the grid is the input. Your 6,250 Amps for the
chargers will be split into chunks of about 200 Amps per bus (at about
600 volts, IIRC),

I used the 400 volts quoted earlier (which is highly likely to be the
same stuff that you've called 415 volts; three phase). We don't know how
many blocks of chargers that'll be split into, but thirty at 200 amps
each for two buses each seems rather spaghetti-like.

by the distribution network.

It will come into the site at about 120 Amps per feed at 11kv.

The copper I'm admiring is that carrying the 6,250 amps (for however far
before branching off to individual blocks of chargers).