Old June 12th 04, 01:52 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Niklas Karlsson Niklas Karlsson is offline

Default Double Artic Trolleybus.

In article , Mark Brader wrote:
Niklas Karlsson writes:
I just got back from a holiday in Crimea, in Ukraine. There is a
trolleybus route there between Simferopol and Yalta, something like
45 miles long!

Did you ride it, or otherwise travel the same roads? I'd be interested
to know the highest speed limit on the road and whether the trolleybuses
actually reach that speed -- unless the overhead wire and the road
surface are very good, I wouldn't think trolley poles would provide
reliable contact for a road vehicle at much above city speeds.

I think you're probably right. I rode it for a short distance (at least
compared to the entire length). As I recall the general speed limit
on the road was 80 kph, and there was a separate trolleybus speed limit
of something like 50-60 kph.

Oh, and the fare for the whole trip from Simferopol to Yalta, or vice
versa, is about 30-35p, BTW.

Of course, this trolleybus route runs through a pass in the Crimean
mountain range, so the road'll be slowish in any case...

Niklas
--
"If you're going to bash someone with a beer bottle they at least deserve the
respect of it being marginally drinkable beer."