Old October 20th 18, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Swastikas in London

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:47:40 +0100, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 20/10/2018 10:23, Offramp wrote:
I suppose some of us know that here is an inlaid swastika in the floor of Upminster Bridge Station. I didn't until about a week ago.

The only other permanent swastika I could think of is on the side of the Indian High Commission at Aldwych, right at the end of Kingsway.

I remember a small Indian shop near me had a hand-written NO SMOKING sign that was covered in hand-drawn swastikas, not meaning "this rule will be rigorously enforced" but simply, "for health".

The original "swastika" is a very old Indian symbol for good luck, IIRC
the Nazi version is actually drawn backwards.

That's what I thought, but apparently not:

"Common swastika myths

Many believe what separates the Hindu swastika from the Nazi swastika
is that the latter is rotated by 45 degrees. Dr Malcolm Quinn says
although the Nazi swastika was "often on a diagonal slant to suggest
dynamism" this was not always the case.

Others have claimed the Nazi swastika has right facing arms and Hindu
swastikas face left. This is wrong. The swastika always faces right.
The left hand symbol is properly called the 'Swavastika', says Dr
Quinn."

From:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26369329

In fact, the ones on India house face the same way as the Nazi
(per)version.