Old October 22nd 18, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar@cylonHQ.com is offline

Default Parisien taxi noir de Londres

On 20 Oct 2018 01:26:15 GMT
Marland wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
And when they say "killing 48,000 a year" what they mean is that all
Parisians (And Londoners) are having their lives slightly shortened by
the pollution compared with their predicted lifespans in unpolluted
places. Call it about 1.5% off your life exectancy.

To get a better idea of how pollution affects people you really need to see
what is has been like for the past 200 years rather than the last 50.
Comparing London and Paris would be interesting
London smogs used to be notorious till burning of plain coal was banned in
smokeless zones and even into 1980’s a trip to London resulted in a dirty
collars, hair and black snot which doesn’t happen now since vehicle
exhausts got treated.

IMO based on nothing apart from the vague haze I can see in the tube train
headlights when it comes down the tunnel and the fact that a some of the
drivers wear mouth masks , I would suggest that the worst pollution in London
now isn't at street level - its on the deep level tube.