Old October 24th 18, 03:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Jonathan Amery Jonathan Amery is offline

Default More on the Peckham Rye detrainment

In article ,
Clive Page wrote:
On 23/10/2018 23:20, Christopher A. Lee wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 22:10:48 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:
https://www.londonreconnections.com/2018/thirty-centimetres-of-safety-an-incident-at-peckham-rye/

Good link. Thanks.

Yes, very interesting.

What strikes me, as a complete non-expert, is the complete absence of common sense on all sides. The report says at one point:

"He was to contact the signaller immediately, detrain his passengers and then drive the train in full manual override mode back to New Cross Gate depot."

So there *was* a way of moving the train, just one that (I assume) some rule said could not be used with passengers on board. Except here was a stuck train with passengers on board and a simple solution. Why did nobody suggest that the driver engage this "full manual override" and move the train another 100 metres or so forward so at the doors were adjacent to the platform at Peckham Rye, and there detrain the passengers. Then the defective stock could have been moved to the depot.

The person giving those instructions incorrectly believed that the
train was alongside the platform.

--