Old June 14th 04, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default Okay, so what was I meant to do?

(James) wrote in message . com...

I've just realised something quite shocking. If I'd got onto
Thameslink whilst within LU fare control and changed at Luton (I had
plenty of time - there's a big gap before the 2340), I could have got
from Kingston to Leicester for 5p. This really takes the ****. No
wonder our railways are losing money.

Just on this last bit I've chopped out, while I'm a vehement opponent
of penalty fares (extra cash from soft targets; let fare-dodgers off
with occasional tenner), and vehement proponent of fully available
walk-on fares, either at open ticket offices or on trains, there's one
thing I don't get ...

Why do so many people equate their opportunity to get away with not
paying with whether they should pay or not? (Nothing personal; your
message reminded me of comments I've seen many times.)