Old June 14th 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Fare anomaly?

In message , Arthur Figgis
] writes
I did something similar today. I had a weekend travelcard, and wanted
a BZ6 (or Bromley South) to Chatham return.

There's a co-incidence!

A chap at East Croydon told me this would be expensive, and I would be
better off going to Victoria and buying a ticket from Victoria to
Chatham.

Poor advice, obviously. That ticket is going to be about £14 I guess.

I said that was fair enough, but could I buy the ticket at Croydon to
save queuing again at Victoria. He told me he couldn't sell the ticket
to Chatham, as it was on "a different line"(!).

Wrong.

I asked how much the BZ6 ticket would be, he reluctantly looked at up,
and said GBP5-summat (with Y-P railcard). I got one of those, as I
suspected any saving would hardly compensate for (probably) missing the
connection from Victoria while buying another ticket there.

I didn't really understand what he was trying to sell me,

Sounds like a Victoria to Chatham CDR. And ignore the Travelcard's
ability to cover the route as far as BZ6.

and why he claimed he couldn't sell a ticket valid from another
station.

Bad training?