Old June 14th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Okay, so what was I meant to do?

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:43:42 +0100 someone who may be Roland Perry
wrote this:-

I think some of it dates back to when the railways were nationalised,
and fares felt a bit more like a "tax" than a "payment". I know several
people (not including myself) that take the view that "if they can't be
bothered to collect the money or clip the ticket, why should I ?"

A few years ago I tried to buy a ticket for a journey which I had
made from a station with no open ticket office. The staff at the
station I had got off at would not sell me one. This was in the
thrusting era of privatisation, rather than the useless BR BTW. As a
result I now have a very simple approach. I will get on the train
and if someone comes along I will try to catch their attention [1]
so that I can buy a ticket. If they don't want to sell me a ticket
then that is their loss.

Most businesses make it easy for customers to buy. The railways need
to learn this.

[1] They have rushed past me on occasion though I have usually
managed to get their attention the second time they passed.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.