Old June 14th 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Tube fare prices

In message , k
writes

Yes, this seems to be the obscure [to a tourist expecting to find an
integrated transport system]

Why should they be expecting that?

Because there are maps everywhere (on the walls, in leaflets etc) that
show all the railways on. There is one set of barriers at the station
(Ealing Broadway) even though there are three railways lines. And those
barriers have the Oyster reader on them.

We haven't got an integrated system, and, if they'd done any research
before they came, they would know that.

All the physical evidence is otherwise.

expected to pass through an Oyster-operated gate to get to some of the
National Rail services on that line, and having to pass through an
Oyster-operated gate to exit Ealing Bdy station, they could be excused
for being *extremely* confused.

Surely most tourists won't have an Oyster card anyway?

This thread started because I was charged £2 for a single that was much
more than I was expecting (as a tourist). And the advice from the
newsgroup was "get an Oyster card then".

Why didn't someone make it a condition of national rails TOCs operating
within the Oyster area that they accept Oyster single tickets?

Why should they?

So that fares are the same from A-B [eg Ealing Broadway to Paddington]
irrespective of which trains you get.