Old June 15th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Oyster and oneday Travelcards -- when?

Ben Nunn wrote:

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Ian Tindale typed
Oyster is a total waste of time and money.

I disagree. It *can* save you money (especially on weekend Tube fares)
but you *really* have to know what your travelling pattern is likely to
be are work out the fares first.

In the long term, I think Oyster can and will be great. Useable, rapid and
eco-friendly, and always offering the best possible value to the traveller.

But that day is still some way off.

Capping needs to be introduced, and it needs to be smart and effective. The
£90/50 Prepay limit needs to be abolished and the 'nominate a specific
station to pick up your credit' thing must go. Also, a Non-prepay
Pay-as-you-go that bills your credit/debit card would also be far better
than having to add value to the card periodically.

BTN

I'm not 100% sure on the technology but AIUI the value is stored on the
card itself, to avoid problems with buses which cannot reliably contact
a network on demand. So therefore it isn't possible to update an Oyster
with prepay unless you do it at a networked terminal, such as an LU
ticket machine, ticket agent or ticket gate. I'm sure someone will be
along to correct any of this if required.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7