Old June 15th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london
Al Al is offline

Default Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 at 17:22:50, Al wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

I have plenty of the currency the destination country, inside a bank!

If it pleases you to think that way, then I'm not one to rain on your
parade. However, as well as the 'plenty of currency inside a bank' you
imagine you have, you also have 'plenty of risk inside a bank': that it
will be closed; ceased trading; suspended during a money-laundering bust;
have ATM phonelines down etc etc etc.

Do you keep your money under the bed, then? I rather doubt that any of
the banks here - Barclays, Abbey, Halifax, Lloyds TSB, whatever - are
going to go bust any time soon.

Nor do I expect them to. Nor did any normal soul expect BCCI to go bust,
given that the BoE had licenced them.

You are willing to spend not a penny of your cash ameliorating that risk
-- nor will apparently spend a moment of your time planning against the
day one of those risks hit.

So where do you keep your money?

I have a contract with a bank whereby I lend them my money, and they promise
to return an equivalent amount 'on demand', including at cashpoints. That
ability is rather subject to a number of exceptions -- see the small print
for details. You may well find that 'ATM not being available' is one of
those exceptions.

IN a sock under your mattress? Don't
forget the OP means he has an account in THIS country, not in some less
developed country which doesn't have such strict banking laws as we do.

Then this is even worse for Mr Perry! There is absolutely no financial cost
whatsoever to taking the pounds he may need on the way back with him at the
time he flies out, much less have to convert foreign money to GBP when he
comes to fly back.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Roland cannot look after his own
affairs, and burdens others when life goes wrong for him. With luck, he'll
meet the challenge of his personality before he reaches 18.
--
Al