Old June 16th 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Richard J.
writes
What happened to the UK cash that you had when you left the UK last
time? Most people retain some for their return journey.

I had perhaps £15 in notes and £5 in loose change. Meanwhile, I'm also
lugging around similar amounts in Dollars and Euros [1]. Before I left
home (which is in the USA) I checked my foreign currency and discovered
small amounts for over 20 countries (half a dozen of which are now
obsolete because of the Euro).

It's understandable for people to think that the UK's the only country
that exists (although they then accuse Americans of the same fault) but
I travel all over the world and UK money is but one of the currencies
that I have to decide whether or not to keep a stash of pending the next
trip.

The reason I post my small grumbles is because it's not often that we
hear about the UK through a tourist's eyes (we just get questions ahead
of the trips, and one answer often given is to get cash from ATMs). A
friend travelled to the UK many years ago, and had taken the precaution
of getting pounds from his bank in the USA. Unfortunately these were
green paper pounds, and it was a year after they'd been phased out here!

[1] Just in case I need to go to Brussels, and find the ATMs there are
non-functional too...