Old June 16th 04, 12:59 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Al
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Al
writes
And, I put it to you that BCCI being an LDT would not have set alarm bells
ringing with you, because you did not then know that status.

Actually I did but that's neither here nor there.

Fairy nuff. Were your alarm bells loud enough to motivate you into warning
people away from BCCI?

No, as I didn't know anyone who deposited with them.

To be honest, though, the only reason I'd heard of them was because they
were cited in a lecture I attended as an example of a Licensed Deposit
Taker, rather than a bank. It just struck me as odd but only in
passing.

There's a bit of a libel hazard there, I should
imagine!

Really? Er, why? :-)

And
managing without some sort of bank account these days is pretty much
impossible I would imagine.

Not in the black economy. Every now and again I come across reports of faces
who have never claimed welfare, don't have bank accounts and just don't
appear in official records. Everything is paid for out of pocket.

I just wonder how people manage in such a way. What do they do when
they have to cash a cheque or pay for something by post? I suppose
they never do such things.......

I understand that a/c payee cheques can be cashed at 90% of the face value
at third parties.

I've seen shops offering such a service but don't know much about how
they work.

A bit of thread drift here.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for