Old June 16th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Stephen Allcroft Stephen Allcroft is offline

Default Nottingham's free buses WAS: Double Artic Trolleybus.

Ian Jelf wrote in message ...
snip

I'm pretty sure that Graham was right, though and that when they were
introduced in Sheffield SYPTE were indeed unable to charge fares. (I
think that they ran on something called the "City Clipper" service in
Sheffield, a bit akin to WMPTE's "Centrebus".)

I also have a vague recollection of something similar happening in
Nottingham?

Nottingham's free service was a political & environmental, not legal
decision,taken in the early 1970s. The 77/88 central circulars were
run for free to discourage car use in the city centre, the early
Leyland Nationals
used were often loaded to the gunwales and used to roll madly on tight
corners. The 88 had NCT livery with and orange roof and the 77 ditto
with a yellow roof;I suppose they were an ancestor of NCts current
route branding. The free services were such a success that NCT got
some seconhand Nationals from Plymouth to add to the fleet and once I
recall a 1963 Fleetline-NCME on the 88 route, a much more dignified
way to travel! The famous Lilac Leopards were also part of a park &
ride strategy, but there was a change of control in the parliament
house, and fares were charged on the 77/88 and the Lilac Leopards sold
off.

Stephen