Old June 17th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
SJCWHUK SJCWHUK is offline

Default Oyster 'continuation of exit'

Like paper tickets, out of station inter-changes allow 15 minutes.

Whereas before SA's when busy would in many cases just allow a person in who
took longer, the Oyster card is pre-set so if you take longer it will end
the last journey and start a new one.

As for the possible abuse on DLR yes its there. Its also been there on the
tube as well where people get a single ticket (or even pre-pay) and travel
to meet someone at a station stay inside the barriers and then go to there
destination.

Steve

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Stevie wrote:
SJCWHUK wrote:

Stations where which have this probability include Farringdon, Barking
and
other interchanges. They are known as Continuation exit stations.

Without knowing your exit on DLR I cant be sure what has happened but
if you
put your card on the big ticket machines or get a printout at the

ticket
office it will show the last 8 journeys.

Well - it was Elverson Road on the DLR which I would've thought wouldn't
be a continuation station as there's nowhere else you can continue on
from there. The only continuation from there would be if you got off,
realised you actually left the train too early and jumped back on.

Strange.

Change to St. John's? (Unlikely I know but possible).

On a related note, I did a trip at the weekend from Z1 via the Jubilee
line to Canary Wharf, changing to DLR via Heron Quays to get to Island
Gardens (I'm pleased to say the LU Canary Wharf - DLR Heron Quays worked
as a continuation exit).

On the way back I went from Crossharbour to Bank. Nature called (or
rather shouted) en route, so I got off at Canary Wharf, wandered into
the shopping centre to answer and got back on again at Canary Wharf.
Despite the name of my website, I neither touched out nor touched in

again.

This leads to two questions. Firstly, how long are you given to make an
out-of-station interchange? Doing LU-DLR would I have had time for a
tea break, lunch, or a day's shopping?
Secondly, I sense that the DLR Oyster system is unfortunately open to
abuse. If I live in Beckton and want to see my mate in Poplar, then
could I catch a train from Beckton to Poplar, touching in at Beckton but
NOT out at Poplar, and then travel back to a different station - say
Cyprus - touch out there and just get charged for Beckton - Cyprus? Is
there any time limit?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7