Old June 17th 04, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Stephen Allcroft Stephen Allcroft is offline

Default Nottingham's free buses WAS: Double Artic Trolleybus.

Ian Jelf wrote in message ...
In message , Stephen
Allcroft writes
Nottingham's free service was a political & environmental, not legal
decision,taken in the early 1970s. The 77/88 central circulars were
run for free to discourage car use in the city centre,

Thanks for the information, Stephen.

The famous Lilac Leopards were also part of a park &
ride strategy,

Now those I do remember. They had bus (rather than coach) seating,
looking most odd.

Not all of them, the first batch, IIRC were coach seated. I recall a
number of those (maybe 3) working on hire to Derby Corporation after
the January 1976 Blue Bus Fire. Most of the bus seated Leopards, if
not all of them, were in standard NCT green and cream, rather than all
over lilac with purple stripes.

I gather that the bus seated ones (Duple called them Dominant E) were
bought because of delivery delays with double decks.

but there was a change of control in the parliament
house, and fares were charged on the 77/88 and the Lilac Leopards sold
off.

I remember quite a heated debate on that on "ATV Today" (now *that*
dates me if nothing else!).

I'm nearly as dated. I remember that, and Tom Coyne on Midlands Today,
and the start of Tiswas,just on ATV to start with... But I did live in
Derby from 1974-6 (left just before my 10th birthday).

Thanks again for "filling us (me) in".

nae bother

stephen