Old June 17th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Routemasters in Niagara Falls (was: Bendy bus off course)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 at 15:52:00, Peter Beale wrote:

In article ,
(Adrian) wrote:

"They" is used as a (slightly awkward) gender-neutral singular,
rather than "he/she/it", or "s/he" or some similar godawful murdering
of the language.

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austheir.html#X1a

Interesting. However, hallowed by age though it may be, I find its use
considerably uglier than "he or she" or the other alternatives you
mention. But it takes all sorts....

As may be, but I'm no spring chicken, and I well remember using the
"indeterminate they" when I was at school. Normally along the lines of
"Is anybody sitting there?" "Yes, they are!" (meaning the seat was
reserved). In vain did the school staff point out that "She is" would
be more correct than "they are"......
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004