Old January 21st 19, 12:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] blt_7fF@ulijv7ch57e.org is offline

Default When the software meets the hardware

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:53:47 +0000
Clive Page wrote:
On 21/01/2019 10:02, Recliner wrote:
Engineers commissioning the new generation of software-enabled trains are
facing the problem that pretty well every system, and even sub-system, on
their train is computer controlled with its own software. This also has to
interface with the train’s third party software based systems.

I travel quite often on the new-fangled Siemens class 700 trains on
Thameslink, which are fitted with passenger information screens at intervals
in each carriage. Almost every day I travel I'm on a train where some or all
of these screens fail, most often going completely blank part-way through the
journey. Sometimes the screens spring back to life at City Thameslink or
Farringdon when the power source is changed and I guess some parts of the
system are rebooted, but not always. I wonder if the train companies are even
aware of these problems - there's no obvious way of reporting them.

At least thats not a show stopper, the trains can still be used. It seems
Siemens seem to have their ducks in line unlike Bombadier when it comes to
the important subsystems.