Old January 24th 19, 05:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default When the software meets the hardware

On 24/01/2019 16:52, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 19:31:06 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:

Toilets don't need to be software controlled in the first place. Only teams
trying to justify their jobs would make them so.

It could be controlled by a box of relays, I suppose, but it wouldn’t

Why does it need even that? A purely mechanical flush would work fine. Its
not as if the train is doing barrel rolls.

I suspect it's not just the bog itself (which is easy as you say), but:

1. The lights and any interlocking between them and the door / lock
2. The occupied light outside
3. The occupied light somewhere else in the carriage
4. Any sensors in the toilet - smoke, fire, excessive moisture etc
5. Emergency alarm pull
6. Overstay alert
And so on and so on. Yes - you could build it all out of wires and
relays, but it sort of makes sense to have it all controlled and linked
together by a computer that could then log and report issues centrally