Old January 25th 19, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default When the software meets the hardware

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 05:22:22PM +0000, Someone Somewhere wrote:

[on why train bogs should be techno-bogs]

I suspect it's not just the bog itself (which is easy as you say), but:

1. The lights and any interlocking between them and the door / lock

Solved by having modern low-energy LEDs, always on

2. The occupied light outside

A mechanical switch in the mechanical lock.

3. The occupied light somewhere else in the carriage

Wired in parallel with the prior light and both controlled by the same
switch.

4. Any sensors in the toilet - smoke, fire, excessive moisture etc

I really really hope that the fire alarm is *not* controlled by a
computer.

5. Emergency alarm pull

I really really hope that that isn't controlled by a computer either.
Or if it is then there shouldn't be anything in the bog itself except
a switch or two.

6. Overstay alert

What are the benefits of this? I can certainly see that there are some,
but do they outweigh the costs of false alarms and of taking the bog out
of service when the techno- part of the techno-bog metaphorically ****s
its silicon pants?

--
David Cantrell | Pope | First Church of the Symmetrical Internet

Godliness is next to Englishness