Old June 18th 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Routemasters in Niagara Falls (was: Bendy bus off course)

"Clive" wrote in message

Slight change of subject. As an ex-bus driver in Bristol where our
double deckers had crash boxes, I remember a trip to London and on
travelling on an RM got the impression they had pre-selector boxes.
Can any confirm or deny this? Does anyone out there know how they
worked or have a link to which I could go to, to find out? Thanks for
any sensible answers.

Traditionally, LT used Wilson preselector gearboxes for their STL and RT
buses.

http://www.routemaster.org.uk/ gives a link to a history
http://www.routemaster50.org.uk/rtmaster/history.shtml of the RM, which used
a semi-automatic gearbox initially, I believe, but like the engines, these
have been replaced with more modern units over the years.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm