Old January 29th 19, 11:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default When the software meets the hardware

wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:56:13 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 13:55:38 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
A portable vacuum unit to empty them. How else?

The walkways along the stabling sidings aren’t sufficient for a mobile
vacuum unit (does such a thing even exist?) let alone a wheeled tank

Have you never seen the lorry that empties a septic tank?

Will it fit along the platform, down a flight of stairs, across the 2 feet
wide boarded walkway, and along the ballast down the 4 foot gap between
trains?

They could try using a long hose. Honestly, if the railways can't think of
a way to empty a septic tank then they're really up **** creak. Pun intended.

It’s a problem which literally doesn’t need to be solved.

In any case I wouldn’t fancy dragging a 250m long 15cm diameter collection
of hoses around on ballast, particularly if the largest of them’s full of
****.

The fixed equipment at depots have a larger-than-portakabin-sized building
which handles the effluent, and a proper feed into the sewage system.
Neither available at the stabling sidings mentioned.

Then they should be.

Why? These are sidings around the back of the station, or 1/4 mile away,
which stable a handful of trains for a few hours overnight, between last
service in the evening and first service in the morning. The trains are
designed to be able to stable overnight without visiting a depot.

Edinburgh to Penzance. It forms an early PM peak commuter train from
Bristol.

I doubt many people went end to end.

I never said they did. I guess a fair number of people make 4-5 hour
journeys though.

Maybe once in a blue moon.

When I board at Exeter to travel back to Bristol I notice a lot of
reservations for Leeds, Sheffield, York etc, so clearly not as few people
as you think make long distance train journeys.

I’ve just interrogated the reservations list for the Padd-Penzance train I
worked part way this morning, and although there are actually no
reservations for the full Padd-Pz journey, there are quite a few
Pad/Reading-Plymouth, a number of Bristol-Truro, and some Bristol-St Erth.

Anna Noyd-Dryver