Old June 18th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Nathaniel Porter Nathaniel Porter is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
David Off wrote:

France? Traffic Calming... I guess the author has never been to France.

They calm their drivers with a bottle of vin rouge ;-)

Tony

This reminds me of something I saw on the Discovery channel once.

Bascially, they took one one driver, and tested him on a private track.

They found him to be aggressive, selfish, and unwill to acknowledge his
limitations

They then gave him a joint to smoke, and repeated the test.

His driving improved - the theory being that the cannabis, whilst limiting
his ability to drive, made him more relaxed and made him more aware of his
limitations.

Obviously (and as was pointed out in the programme), this doesn't mean
driving while stoned should be legal, but it was an interesting, if
unexpected result - and certainly worthy of more investigation.

Thought I'd just throw that in for the sake of conversation :-)