Old June 18th 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Smith Ian Smith is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"Marc Brett" wrote in message

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/06/18/everything_we_know_a.html

Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Mind-blowing article about the European and Chinese challenges to

the
received wisdom on traffic planning and calming, arguing that the
separation of peds and cars leads to less-safe streets:

snipped

Recently in Orkney, did some driving around the main street of
Stromness. Very narrow, 2-way traffic and pedestrians mingling,
standing in doorways to let cars past, etc. I paid a lot of attention
and initially found it daunting to drive, but soon realised it was one
of the safest non-pedestrianised "main streets" I ever experienced.
Locals found it second nature to look both ways before stepping out of
shop doorways. Likewise drivers patiently waited for pedestrians to go
about their business. It all seemed to work quite well. The only
"traffic control" measures there were single yellow lines to
discourage long-term obstructions.
In short, because of higher perceived danger levels, much more
caution is exercised, and a street ends up being safer.

at http://www.TitanNews.com