Old February 9th 19, 06:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default DfT favours battery trams

On 09/02/2019 16:57, Clank wrote:

Anna Noyd-Dryver Wrote in message:

Clank wrote: Anna Noyd-Dryver Wrote in message: Clank wrote: On the other hand... What's wrong with trolley poles? They seem pretty reliable even in inclement weather*. On a tram, where the poles wouldn't even have to deal with the vehicle moving all over the road to overtake etc., I don't see any reason why they should be particularly problematic. More prone to dewirement, particularly as speed increases. Junction'pointwork' more complicated and prone to failure. More maintenancerequired too, I think. Need changing over at every terminus. Anna Noyd-Dryver With all due respect - and I use that in its extremely unusual totally sincere sense - are all those true, or are they just "received wisdom" used to back-justify the UK's resistance to trolleys (and indeed trams)? My post was based on my knowledge and experience of UK heritage tramwayoperations, my knowledge of UK heritage tramway maintenance, and of OLEequipment fitted;

Genuine question - do you think heritage operations are representative of modern equipment? Do you use modern OHLE in fact? (As I say, genuine question - not clear to me if a heritage tramway is all about the rolling stock or if you also try to keep everything else about it "heritage".)

and finally the fact that non-heritage tramways usingtrolleypoles rather than pantographs are a tiny minority if indeed anyexist at all.

I think that Riga still uses poles on their T3s, whilst there are a few
older PCCs running in San Francisco.

The Newark City Subway also used poles when they had PCCs.
~,_r޵