Old June 19th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Nathaniel Porter Nathaniel Porter is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"AndyMorris" wrote in message
Nathaniel Porter wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message
David Off wrote:

France? Traffic Calming... I guess the author has never been to
France.

They calm their drivers with a bottle of vin rouge ;-)

Tony

This reminds me of something I saw on the Discovery channel once.

Bascially, they took one one driver, and tested him on a private
track.

They found him to be aggressive, selfish, and unwill to acknowledge
his limitations

They then gave him a joint to smoke, and repeated the test.

His driving improved - the theory being that the cannabis, whilst
limiting his ability to drive, made him more relaxed and made him
more aware of his limitations.

Obviously (and as was pointed out in the programme), this doesn't mean
driving while stoned should be legal, but it was an interesting, if
unexpected result - and certainly worthy of more investigation.

Thought I'd just throw that in for the sake of conversation :-)

Dope messes with your perception of speed, smoke enough and try to drive

and
the cops will pull you over for doing 10 mph on a clear road.

Which is what you'd expect - but this didn't happen in the (obviously
relatively unscientific) experiment shown above. What did happen was he
drove slowly (but not that slowly), and was so paranoid about hitting
anything or messing up (which is one of the effects of dope) that he
actually drove carefully and did manage to spot all the hazards thrown at
him, and he dealt with them well.

Just to reiterate, I'm not meaning to say that driving while stoned should
be legal - but as I say the results of this experiment were rather
unexpected and most interesting :-)