Old June 19th 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Paul Terry wrote the following in:

In message , Robin
May writes

My girlfriend's cousin visited from America last year and I was
pretty surprised to find on the day he arrived and I tried to use
his money to buy a tube ticket for him that he'd been issued an
old style £20 note. Are banks and bureau de changes allowed to do
this? And do they do it in the UK as well as in America?

If you mean the notes with the picture of Michael Faraday (rather
than Elgar) they ceased to be legal tender on 28 Feb 2001 and so
certainly should not have been issued to anyone in 2003.

I can't really remember much about what the note looked like, just that
it was the kind that is no longer legal tender and came before the
current type. So it probably was the one you were describing. As it
happens, it was very late 2003, so he was issued with this note nearly
three years after it had gone out of date.

People may be interested to note (pun intended) that it was accepted by
a tube ticket machine.

--
message by Robin May-Silk and his close friend, Robert Kilroy-Kotton
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Spelling lesson: buses only has ONE s.