Old June 19th 04, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 at 23:41:20, David Off
wrote:

Marc Brett wrote:
The pilot
projects were so successful in fostering better urban environments
that the ideas spread rapidly to Belgium, France

France? Traffic Calming... I guess the author has never been to France.

That's why it doesn't work..... if you go to St-Omer from the Tunnel via
the N road, not the motorway, you used to go through a village (now,
happily, bypassed) which had no fewer than 9 pedestrian crossings, as
advertised at the start of the speed limit signs. Never saw any
pedestrians using them, though, or any traffic taking any notice.

Some "passages cloutés" are raised up, though, making their own speed
bumps.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004