Old June 19th 04, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Wood Bob Wood is offline

Default Routemaster gears and tickets (was: Routemasters in Niagara Falls (was: Bendy bus off course))

In ,
Martin Rich typed:

I've occasionally wondered, in retrospect, and maybe somebody reading
this knows: did reverse work the same way on preselective gearboxes?
The thought of travelling forward, forgetting that you'd preselected
reverse, and accidentally touching the operating pedal, is fairly
frightening.

I think a knob had to be pulled out before reverse could be selected and
that both hands were needed to do this, one for the knob and one for the
lever. It was not therefore some thign that was likely to be done with the
bus moving.

I may be wrong - it was almost 40 years ago since I used to sit behind
the driver on the 90B

Bob