Old March 26th 19, 04:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MissRiaElaine MissRiaElaine is offline

Default Passengers on the line at Leiwsham - RAIB report

On Tue 26/03/2019 10:19, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message

, at 09:07:00 on Tue, 26 Mar 2019, Jeremy Double

remarked:

There's probably around a thousand trains without toilets in and around
London.

I know but it's becoming obvious that this is unsatisfactory.

I’m not sure where you’d put toilets on tube stock without
obstructing the
emergency exit to the next carriage; as you can’t walk through the train,
would you want a toilet in each carriage?

The point is made in the RAIB report that in the event of a train being
unable to move, underground trains behind it are held at stations, so the
problem that arose at Lewisham wouldn’t arise. This seems a very
reasonable approach on a metro-style railway where the trains are not
provided with toilets.

There aren't all that many Underground stations with public toilets,
either. The only one that springs to mind immediately is Barons Court,
we'd just travelled from Hounslow West and my other half was absolutely
bursting by the time we got there.