Old May 28th 19, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Uber and the VAT man

In message , at 15:51:29 on Tue, 28 May
2019, Recliner remarked:

The turnover for someone like Uber or TheTrainline being the commission
element, not including the money that passes straight through to the
drivers and Train Companies respectively.

Yes, Uber refers to Gross Bookings and Revenue. The latter slipped to about
21.3% of the former in Q4 2018.

"Compared to the entire fiscal year of 2017, Uber’s gross bookings
increased 45 percent, to $50 billion in 2018. That resulted in a GAAP
revenue increase of 43 percent, from 2017 to $11.3 billion. Losses also
improved (decreased) from $2.2 billion in adjusted EBITDA losses in 2017 to
$1.8 billion in 2018. "

One wonders what they are spending all their revenue on (I suppose the
report might have details).

TheTrainline is doing much better on their approx 8% commission, than
Uber is on their 21%

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/15/uber-reports-3b-in-q4-revenue-rising-operating-losses/

Several of my tech-savvy friends having nothing but swearwords for the
Oath privacy policy. So for now I'm joining in their embargo of their
site.