Old June 2nd 19, 07:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Uber and the VAT man

In message , at 22:37:39 on Sat, 1 Jun 2019,
Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:25:49 on Sat, 1 Jun 2019,
Recliner remarked:

And now there's another contender, prepared to make even bigger losses in
the quest for market sha

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...s-to-drive-ube
r-off-the-road-as-cab-price-war-begins-ql50hf2d3?shareToken=ae520e4dc8d6
1cbc54da17360bf58ba6

This story mentions that Uber now takes a 35% commission from new drivers.

£7.50/hr [Uber driver quoted] and providing your own car, doesn't seem
like it's worth it to me.

That's why only immigrants will do it. It's probably a step up from a car
wash.

But I don't think Amazon delivery drivers have a much better deal.

No, I suppose not.

At least Amazon drivers now turn up in smart newish (unmarked) vans,

That may be a regional thing. My Amazon deliveries are still mainly
arriving in a beaten up and rattley ten year old car-based diesel van.
But is unmarked (by signage, anyway)

not beaten-up private cars, like some other couriers. They also don't
seem to have impossible delivery rounds, as they nearly always turn up
on the right day, and don't falsely pretend they've attempted a
delivery when they haven't (unlike Parcelforce).

I expect the Amazon drivers are tracked by their handheld devices which
may forbid the issuing of a "missed delivery" unless they are physically
on the doorstep.

The "silently post a card through the letterbox" syndrome is different,
and is more likely to be caused by the driver discovering the parcel o
his delivery list isn't in his van after all, but he has to register an
attempted delivery to make his quota. Amazon is likely better at
ensuring the vans are properly loaded at the depot.