Old June 3rd 19, 02:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Class 345

In message , at 12:27:00 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Graeme Wall remarked:

*I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After* a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
*I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.* This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.
On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

It's at the end of the line :-)

Exactly, and all you need to know is that it's a label for the train you
want to catch.

Of course, in the UK we have false labels like Foxton, which means "slow
train to the station after, Cambridge".